I realized that I haven't written up Lauren's birth story and I want to make sure I do before I forget. I want her to have the record for when she is older.
Here is an email I sent out on January 23, 2010:
Hello Everyone, Well, I've got some news....I was admitted to the hospital this morning because my water broke. I'm only about 30 weeks (7mo) along, so that is sooner than we all would like. Luckily right now I'm not going into labor (haven't had consistent contractions), so they are just having me rest and take it easy and it is a wait and see type of thing. I'm not sure if it will be a few days or as long as a few weeks before the baby comes. Otherwise I am fine, and the baby is fine, too. Taylor's Dad has come down to help watch the boys and we are lining up extra baby-sitters to watch Drew & Will for us while I'm here at the hospital. So please keep us in your thoughts & prayers & that BGC doesn't come too early so that she can be healthy. :) ******
I ended up being put on anti-contraction drugs and in the hospital until the morning of 1/27 when my contractions were progressing and the doctors decided since I had already been given the steroids that the baby should come. I was brought in for the c-section and Lauren came out very quickly. Prior to the surgery, she was positioned horizontally and facing my spine (so backwards), so the physicians were worried about getting her out. (Nothing to grab onto). Luckily once the surgery started, it seemed that Lauren's head was easy to find--they think because when I got the spinal and had to hunch over that pushed her around. She was immediately put into and incubator and the Neonatalogist and team assessed her. Lauren was crying when she came out, so that was a good sign.
Email from 1/27 sent by Taylor:
Lauren Jeanne Cabaniss was born this morning at 6:32am! Weighing in at 3lbs 11oz (good size for 30 weeks 1 day!). She came out crying, which is great, and is doing well so far in the NICU. It sounds like Lauren is going to get some help breathing to let her rest, but when she first came out she was doing it on her own, which is amazing.
Linz is recovering here in the room and is getting some well deserved rest. We will likely get to go in and see the peanut in the next couple of hours. Should be able to get a picture or two out later today.
Thank you again to everyone for their thoughts and prayers and support - We really appreciate it. Please keep the prayers coming as Lauren (and us) have a long road ahead as she will likely be in the NICU for 6-8 weeks.
******
Since she was only 30weeks, however, we knew she would most likely need help with breathing and be in the NICU for a long time. After the surgery I was brought back to my room to recover. Taylor stayed with me in the room for a while, since the doctors were going to put in some IV lines, etc into Lauren. He went a while later to check on her and she was put on the ventilator but doing well. I was able to go and see her in the evening:
Here's an email from 1/28:
Lauren is doing good. I got to go in and see her in the NICU last night. She is cute and small and has black hair :) She is on the ventilator, but they are slowly trying to wean her off of it. She doesn't like it and was trying to pull it out last night when we were there--the nurses say it is good that she is feisty! But she is doing as expected for a 30wk baby, but no real significant problems which is great. She just has to grow bigger, learn to breathe on her own and learn how to eat. The doctors think she will be in the hospital for about 6-8 weeks.
I'm doing pretty good, too. I was able to get up and see her last night and they got me up out of bed again this morning. I've been pumping for her (so fun) and just resting. But I'm recovering pretty well from the surgery and not in too much pain. Taylor's Mom got into town last night, so that is great that she is here to help with the boys. We took some pictures but haven't had a chance to get them loaded up yet--hopefully later today.
*****
That's the story of the first few days. Lauren ended up being the hospital until March 24, 2010 and has been doing so great ever since!!
No comments:
Post a Comment