December 29, 2007

Dr. Updates (OB, Peri and NST)

I had 3 appts yesterday: OB, Peri and then a Non-Stress Test (NST).
OB went well, she manually checked my cervix and said I'm about 1cm dilated and about 70% effaced. That doesn’t mean I’m going into labor or anything right away, but it means that the babies will probably come sooner rather than later, which I’m ok with. The OB didn’t think I’d make it all the way until the end of Jan. Of course we want to get past 34 weeks (which is next Wed). But I'm really ready to have them come and the babies should do quite well even if they are born a little early. I've gotten really swollen (edema/water retention) this past week, so that's been making me uncomfortable, and hard to sleep, but there's not a whole lot to do to fix that other than keep my feet up. I talked to the OB about getting an NST done, b/c I've been having trouble feeling baby B move. I feel movement on my left side all the time (where baby A is) but not as much on my right. So, I was able to go to Labor and Delivery before my Peri appt today and they hooked me up to the monitors and both heart rates were strong and did well. But that still didn't explain why I couldn't really feel B, his heart rate was moving up and down on the monitor.
SOOO, at the Peri ultrasound we saw that Baby B has moved to be horizontal on my right side (head towards my right side, and legs towards my left, kicking near A's feet). So THAT’s why I've been feeling everything on my left, they are both kicking over there!
So, that made me feel better to know that B was doing ok and tracking well. Based on the measurements from the u/s Baby A is measuring 5lbs 1oz and B is 5lbs 15 oz--still BIG!! I can't believe B is really that close to 6lbs, but maybe so. Peri said they don't need to see me again as I'm almost 34 weeks and everything seems to be going fine. And they'd probably want to see me in 3 weeks anyway, and who knows if I won't have already had the babies by then. (If I don’t go into labor on my own before 1/25, we have a c-section scheduled for that date which is 37.2weeks)
So, things are going well. My belly is still pretty big and it's getting more difficult to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night Thursday w/contractions, but they weren't regular enough to go to L&D, but maybe that means the process is beginning.
I'm scheduled to see the OB every week from now on and also probably do NST's every week, too, just to make sure the little guys are still tolerating their space ok. So, my guess is that by Mid-January we’ll have these babies, but for now it is just wait and see.

My Mom got in to town Thursday night and will stay through tomorrow, so it’s been nice to have her visit. Then she and Phil are coming back out to Palm Springs after New Year’s for a week and a half, so they’ll be close by in case anything happens a bit early.

No comments: